Diarrhea can be one of the worst things to run rampant in your household. It makes everyone feel poopy! 🙂 And nothing makes us mamas feel worse than when our child is suffering and we can’t do anything about it! Here are some things that you can do to make the suffering a little more bearable.
- Stay Hydrated– The first sign that a baby/young child often shows when they are sick is lack of appetite. This is not a good mix when it comes to diarrhea because you have to make sure that they are taking in more than they are putting out. If they will, get them to drink Pedialyte. If you have a baby that refuses to nurse or drink a bottle try feeding them little by little with a syringe. Anything is better than nothing.
- Keep a Log– Record their wet/poopy diapers on a sheet of paper and when they have them. This will be reassuring for you because it often seems like much more than it actually is as well as helpful for your pediatrician if you take them to the doctor. It would be a good idea to check their temperature periodically just to make sure they do not get a fever and put those in the log as well.
- Protect The Booty– There are some really neat ways to do this! You can use plain vaseline and put it on in a thick layer with each diaper change, The goal here is to protect the skin so that future explosions will not get to the skin, they will stay on top of the vaseline. A secret weapon is Bacitracin Zinc! This stuff works wonders and can be found at your local drugstore (often behind the pharmacy counter) but does not need a prescription, you just have to ask. My next go to would be Flanders buttocks cream which works very well too. But for those really red butts I would apply a thin layer of bacitracin zinc over the area and then a thick layer of vaseline on top. You will see a huge improvement in a day or two.
- Try Probiotics- There are tons of living bacteria in your gut naturally! They are actually very good for you and help aid digestion. When you get sick these bacteria get all thrown out of wack…that’s where the probiotics come into play! They will help your gut restore its natural balance of good bacteria and stop diarrhea!
- Make Your Own Wipes– This is an awesome thing to do! Check out my post on Homemade Wipes to see how to make them!
- Use Cloth Diapers! I LOVE THEM!! You can use the vaseline/bacitracin mixture with these as well just make sure you are using a cloth diaper liner with it!
- Give Essential Oils a Try! I used diluted peppermint around my little one’s navel. I also used diluted lavender & thieves mixed together on her spine. They work wonders! Look at this post on Living Naturally with Essential Oils
- BRAT Diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) – The purpose of this is just to follow a bland diet. Avoid things like tons of dairy, very acidic fruits, things with lots of spices and juices. This diet will give their stomach a rest and hopefully tame down diarrhea.
These are just a few ideas but hopefully, they will help make it a little more manageable. Hang in there mama! You’re doing great! 🙂